Over our 22 years, we have run many successful budget cooking activities, most recently in partnership with Cambridge Foodbank. With COVID-19 here, meeting together in person isn’t possible, so we’ve developed a new virtual cooking club for families managing a tight budget.
For each recipe, families receive a package of store cupboard ingredients typical of those given out by the Foodbank, topped up with fresh products as necessary. Families will have access to simple step-by-step videos and laminated recipes cards.
Families share success and struggles in a closed WhatsApp group, creating support between families and a ‘club’ feel. Red Hen also keeps in touch with each participant individually virtually and on the doorstep when delivering the food packages.
Scroll down further to see the result of their hard work below!
Big thanks to
- Cambridge Community Foundation for the funding to help run this project.
- Cambridge City Foodbank for the ingredient donations and their wonderful volunteer…
- ….Fabulous Hilary for all her time, effort, ideas and wonderful screen presence!
- Matt Innes and Beam Group for the incredible donation of equiptment.
- Awesome Rhianna for her filming and editing skills.
- Our friends at the Church of the Good Shepherd for use of their Hall kitchen for filming.
- Cambridge Fruit Company who continue to support us and have provided the vegetables for the ingredient deliveries.
- and last, but not least, our wonderful Club Cook Project Worker Anastasia who is out weekly delivering ingredients and providing help and support to families.